Friday, January 4, 2013

Crock Pot Yellow Squash with Chipotle Tomatoes


To get to know me is to know that I love my crockpot. When I got married many years ago, at the ripe old age of 22, I had little experience cooking. My husband, however, had a lot of experience cooking in restaurants. That combined with the fact that I initially worked nights, I was happy to defer the family cooking to him.

Several years ago when my youngest (special needs) son was born and I retired, it was only natural that I attempt to cook now that I was a stay home mom. This is when I discovered my crockpot and it was truly love. It was perfect for an inexperienced cook like me to come up with delicious homecooked meals, with a simplicity I can deal with.

I've become better at cooking in the past few years, so I don't use my crockpot exclusively anymore. Still it's fair to say I use it once or twice a week, and I'm always coming up with new things to try.

Here is a recipe I came up with last week, trying to eat more healthily after splurging over the holidays.


1 package (I used publix) fresh yellow squash from the produce section, sliced in quarter inch pieces
Petite Cut Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle Chilies, 14.5 oz
I sliced onion
fresh parmesan cheese, grated


Layer onion and half of the diced tomatoes on the bottom of your crock. Put in the squash and then the rest of the tomatoes.
I cooked mine on high for around 7 hours. I checked it after 4 and stirred it but knew it could go longer. Before serving I grated fresh parmesan cheese on top.

 SO DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment